Tuesday, December 18, 2007

EpubCheck Validation Tool Results


I downloaded and tested the EpubCheck application today, as announced in the Adobe Digital Editions blog. I am pleased to say that I ran it on a variety of EPUB files and was able to test for certain planned errors, understand the error terminology, and make corrections based on the error log.

It is an important fact that the people who created this tool are intimately involved at the IDPF and Adobe in creating the EPUB as well as OPS standard.

I think with a little bit of enhancement and UI integration, this tool is a great start to an effective validation tool for EPUB containers. I am hoping that since it is open source, we can soon see a version that prints errors to a txt or xml file with ease as well as incorporating a simple web UI (and maybe even batch functionality).

I noted that by mid-afternoon, there were 21 downloads of the application (one of which was mine). I hope that grows quickly and publishers that are working on implementing EPUB integrate this into their workflow.

No comments: